Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Snow Day

For as long as I can remember, I have looked forward to snow days with glee. The best was when the weather forecaster would predict a trace of snow and we'd wake up to a blanketed 6 inch deep neighborhood of white. School was always cancelled for my neighborhood growing up because we lived in an area that didn't have a snow-route, so even with a late start or snow routes, we had a day off.


When I was teaching, I probably looked forward to snow days even more than my younger elementary self (if that's possible). A free day with an excuse to knit by the fire and go for long snowy walks was even better as an adult skipping work.


We woke up this morning to over 12 inches of snow in our neighborhood. School days were cancelled, everyone was snowed in, and the kids took advantage of some extreme sledding. I walked out to our main road and hitched a ride to work with a co-worker before the sun was up and walked down our snowy driveway after dark tonight. This was my first snow day spent outside the home and having to work. While I missed the free-day and getting snowy-cozy at home, I felt pretty awesome at work as our boss kept referring to us as his bad-ass girls for coming in while every office around us was closed. I'll take being awesome in exchange for one of my snow days just for today.

No comments:

Post a Comment