Thursday, January 5, 2012

Pinky saves the day.

The other night Everly climbed into the bathtub with Parks after dinner just as she does most nights, but that night she had her new pink cast on. When I caught her 30 seconds later, the cast was fully submerged. We made an appointment to have it re-casted two days later, feeling like Awesome Parents of The Year. Everly had just gotten her permanent cast that morning.

So, today I headed in with Everly to get it checked out and lo and behold, no new cast! The nurse said the hour I logged with the hairdryer and the fact that it was just a minute that it was only partially underwater saved us from a whole lot more trauma today. Phew!

As if the day could get any better after that (no new cast! no new cast! no new cast! we chanted all the way home), we found a package on our doorstep for Everly and Parks. Since her brother is away for the night, Everly made an executive decision to open it up without him and see what was inside.

She was delighted. I was beyond touched. My dear friend Lisa sent Parks a birthday present and Everly the most thoughtful get well gift I could imagine.


The tag reads:
"Dear Evie-
My name is Pinky. I fell and broke my arm too. I have to wear a cast and be careful while my arm heals. I might need your help to be brave at the doctor's office. We can get our casts off together when our arms heal! Love, Pinky"

Having a thoughtful friend who also works at a children's hospital really pays off. Why didn't I think of that? Pinky is going to save the day. Tonight Pinky snuggled, needed a snack, cried a little, needed some pain medicine, drank some water and didn't want to go to bed (and cried a little more). Pinky's recovery is already eerily similar to Evie's.

And this picture is blurry, but I need you to know what I'm dealing with while trying to keep this gal from injuring herself further. :)

2 comments:

  1. that last picture says it all and that is absolutely the most thoughtful & loving gift for your friend to send to Evie. I can imagine the commotion Pinky caused & Evie tending to A LOT that night.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was so sweet! Everly has been carrying Pinky around and rocking him a lot. Apparently, he's having a harder time than she is now. :)

    ReplyDelete