Tuesday, May 22, 2012

The others.

I am so lucky to have a husband who can step in and take over when I'm sicker than sick and parents who live less than 10 minutes away who do the same thing. With this pneumonia, the grandparents and Jeremy have totally stepped in more. They keep saying things like "You're never going to get better unless you rest and take care of yourself!" and other crazy things that I am not capable of like that. I'm trying to be a better listener, though so that means letting other people help me. (Sometimes that's not my strong suit).


 Breakfast at Grandma and Papa's means donuts. I'm pretty sure they're big fans.


 Grandma encourages silly behavior.

I have the most helpful grandparents in the the greater northwest, I think. They are active, fun and busy grandparents with "a life" (what?!), but whenever I need them most they are there for me. They are currently working on a gigantic remodel project away from home and when I got super sick, my mom dropped everything and stepped in where she could. This means grandma is on her own, dropping off at preschool, doing some crafts with the kids, and manning bedtime. I'm lucky that my parents have always lived minutes away since the kids were born. They have been pretty involved in their lives from the start (just like my grandparents - it was my greatest wish for my kids), so the kids have always looked forward to some grandparent time. And I think occasionally they give them a few more special treats than we do...just as grandparents should.

 And then Jeremy made bread with the kids. Seriously.

What I'm so, so thankful for is that I have such an amazing husband who is THE MOST awesome dad. He makes bread with the kids, he gardens with them, he plays, plants, swims, bikes, and teaches them to help around the house. He does all of this without any prompting or nudging. And the last big conversation we had about the days when I'm at work went like this "Honey! Do less cleaning and projects and more playing with the kids! It will all get done somehow, feel free to enjoy your time with them and don't worry about making sure dinner is on the table when I get home!" Seriously. That happened. And?! He still cleans the house, does the laundry and has dinner on the table when I get home. He is THE BEST. He also often does all of this on zero sleep because he works 24 hour shifts and arrives home to walk in the door and immediately be Mr. Mom for the day. We both have our parenting strengths and what I lack for, he makes up. We make a pretty good team, but I believe I still get the winning end.

No comments:

Post a Comment