Saturday, March 30, 2013

Getting older.


A few days ago it was my birthday. On that day we drove home from our vacation for six hours, all of us suffering from end of vacation blues. On the car ride, Evie threw up a few times while we drove in traffic, unable to stop and then when we got home Parker was beside himself from exhaustion and both kids were so badly behaved that they went to bed early sans books and snuggles. At 11pm after we finished unpacking, Jeremy turned to me and said "Want a birthday redo tomorrow?". Yes please.


So the next day I came home from work to hushed whispers and excited giggling. The kids popped out from behind the furniture yelling "SURPRISE! HAPPY RE-BIRTHDAY!" and handed me a mimo (good kids), put a home-made mom crown on my head and grabbed my hands for the treasure hunt. They put clues inside of balloons leading me around the house, which translated to an ecstatic Evie popping each one with a pin and Parker racing ahead to tell me where the next clue was hidden. The last clue led me to a heartfelt Starbucks card ("What does mom want?" "Starbucks!!"). They decorated the house, hung up the streamers, made a happy birthday sign, hid eggs for an egg hunt around the house, and cooked a delicious dinner. A perfect Birthday redo, indeed.






No comments:

Post a Comment