Tuesday, December 4, 2012

flu-time.

Well, it happened. We all came down with Parker's flu. Except Everly's version seems to be a 2 on the scale of 0-10 and registers as a "mild annoyance". The version Jeremy and I have, which is likely the same as Parks is what I would call a good, solid 10. Ten-plus, if I'm having a moment of particular whininess. I have compared this flu to Scarlett Fever, The Plague and anything else over the top, horrific in the way of colds that I can imagine. And this is not coming from the faint of heart. I have made it through two bouts of Pneumonia and the famous Swine Flu in the past 2 1/2 years. So, I'm giving myself room to whine a little with this one. It.is.awful. My mom and dad even took the kids for the first two nights to give us a leg up, and I shudder to think of how much worse I could feel, if that were possible.

And just when I thought I was starting to look, sound and feel a little better tonight, while I was laying in bed with Parker while he was slowly going to sleep, he snaked his little arm out from under the covers and put it on my cheek and whispers "Mom, are you dying?" Oh, no. No, no, no. And you know how I know that? I have the same flu as you did when you felt so badly over Thanksgiving. And you know what else I found out? You're braver and stronger than me, sweet boy, because I think you started feeling better sooner than me. But I'll be ok, because you are ok. "Oh, good. I'm so glad" he whispers. Oh, dear. We must still look pretty bad.

Tonight we tried to have some time that was intentional with the kids since it's been difficult to get off the couch and fetch them a snack. And Parker has also been worried about caring for us because as he said "I can only make cream cheese sandwiches! What if that doesn't sound good to you?!" We made dinner (saltines and a heated up casserole), and we listened to Parker read stories from his poetry folder, and we sat down and wrote letters to Santa. A lot of activities involving sitting. We met in the middle.

 "Gather 'round everyone! It's your favorite time of the day! Listening to me read..."

 "Whoops. That was a one finger space instead of two. Perhaps Santa will understand."

And our newest activity - putting Penny in our empty Kleenex boxes and watching her chew her way out. Good fun for sick people.

No comments:

Post a Comment