Thursday, July 12, 2012

Years

During today's hot and gorgeous afternoon, I had the pleasure of going to the dentist. My dear friend Kamille was kind enough to come over and watch my kids, with her kids, with her bun in the oven, on a hotter than hot day and make them all lunch. Did I mention how wonderful she is?

The older two were born within 12 hours of each other. We were on the same floor of the hospital, and had no idea until nearly a year later when our little playgroup began. Parker and Veronica have so many similarities which is both awesome to encounter, and really comforting to have a friend who understands. These two are full of life, full of imagination, rarely hesitate when something excites them, but they absolutely have their own opinions. And are willing to share them. Liberally. Parker loves Veronica. And I feel so blessed that they get to go to kindergarten next year together. These little snapshots they've had for nearly their entire lives will continue throughout these important moments. That means the world to me.


And then there's these two. These two fanciful, sweet, and impish girls. As long as they agree on something, the play can go on for hours. However, given their equally high doses of stubbornness and a mind of their own and they can go back and forth ("No!" "Yes!" "No!" "Yes!") for what feels like forever. But their dreams, desires, and minds think alike. I imagine these two will have a fiercely strong, intensely understanding, and incredibly fun friendship for a long, long time. I imagine two girls in a summer 12 years from now, with sunburned arms and flowing hair, with strong hands and dirt streaked cheeks, living it up and swimming in Whatcom Creek and riding their bikes together and laying on the grass in the white daisies talking about life. And that image of someday was strengthened when I came home from my appointment to this today.


Some of my favorite friendships go back through those elementary years where I can think of a friendship in terms of snippets of summers and grades and timelines that span running in the sprinkler to driving to Lake Chelan together. I covet that feeling of a relationship that goes back so far that we don't have to explain these days, months and years - we know them. And I am so, so excited to see those relationships form in the lives of my two.

2 comments:

  1. This steals my heart. You wrote it so well, our kids and their unique self. It was my pleasure to watch them all and to have the moments with Parker & Evie with the girls.

    Two hours in, and I was thankful that Evie & Cadence finally agreed upon the very real & tangible possibility of playing wonderfully together. Granted, Evie was trying to join P&V's outing, while both P&V said, "No, Everly, this is only for us. You can have an outing with Cadence," while Cadence was trying with all her might to persuade Evie to join. Glad it worked out.

    PS read the other posts of this month and dawned on me how much we've seen each other in July, which I don't mind at all:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! Love these kids and the bond they're forming. and love that we have seen each other every couple of days lately!

    ReplyDelete