Monday, April 23, 2012

Le Artiste

As an art teacher, I have been pining for my kids to share my love of painting, drawing and all things crafty. While they possess the excitement, I am unsure of their passion for it when a fun afternoon of painting usually turns into swirling all the colors around until they make a goopy mud color. They are more "scientific experimenters" than artists. Then the other day Parker walks up behind me and says "I painted a fire engine for you." I expected the same soggy paper of brown paint smudged everywhere. A firetruck that may have been lost at the bottom of a mud puddle. A firetruck in the middle of a dark night. But imagine my surprise when I turned around and saw...a firetruck! A real, recognizable, imaginative firetruck complete with a green ladder, yellow seats and a purple siren. A creative firetruck, straight from his land of pretend where he is, in fact, a real fireman. And as always I said "You worked so hard on that! I love it. Let's hang it where we can see it every day." And so it went up next to the other muddy firetrucks where I can enjoy it every day.

No comments:

Post a Comment